
So I had to make my children's annual "well child" visit appointments...So I picked up the phone to dial the number to do so...This is how the conversation went:
"Hello, I need to make "well child" appointments for my four children..."
"Okay, what is the first child's name..."
(I went from youngest to oldest~keep in mind that I still haven't been able to legally change names because new birth certificates were not in yet)
"His name is D.T. (birth name)."
"Okay and the next child's name, same last name?"
It's here, I felt somewhat humbled by my reply...
"No, her name is S.H. (birth name)."
But it gets even more humbling, since this woman on the other end of the phone doesn't know me from any other "Jane doe" I'm not quite sure why I felt this way...
"Okay next child's last name?" At this point she was done assuming that my children all have the same last name...
"His name is K.M."
and so it went until Kalani...I just had to laugh at myself and what the lady on the other end of the phone "might" have been thinking, and that God has a good sense of humor. I guess if I was the lady taking this call I would of assumed; "Well this gal sure gets around...Three baby daddy for all her kids!"
It's funny cause I can tell when we are out in public sometimes, people staring because all of my children have completely different looks, not to mention different races...I mean think about it, my kids go from; a half black/white toddler, to a total blue eyed, blond haired toddler, to two older kids who look nothing like my younger kids (well maybe a little with that hawaiian skin)...Afterall, my kids don't look different enough from me, that people would assume, "Oh they are probably adopted." People could rightly assume that I birthed each one of these beautiful babies, just that I wasn't positive on which daddy to marry. I just calmly swallow my pride, resisting the temptation to justify myself on why my kids all look so different and smile to myself on what others are trying to figure out, especially when they actually approach me on what cute kids I have...I think sometimes they are probably trying to narrow their options down in their minds, thinking "Well, maybe they aren't all hers." Then standing there a bit confused when I say, "Thank you, they are blessings..."
Hee hee...Hope you got a chuckle at my expense :)

2 comments:
I definitely was chuckling!:)
I have been asked if I am doing foster care, or if I brought the daycare along and I look up and smile and say they are all mine...then and the conversation leads into an opportunity to thank God for the gift of children.
Post a Comment