Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Do You Work?


Hmmm....How do I answer that question the receptionist just asked me at my kid's dr appointment this morning...

I know they need to simply fill out on their computer in front of them their data from each patient that comes in, but I really feel somewhat irritated, not at the gal, but more at the question itself, because what I really want to say to that question instead of the very simple "no" is; "Actually mam, yes, I do work...Let me share with you what has transpired in the last...hmmm let's just go with the last 12 hours for right now...Today I have so far gotten four children up at the crack of dawn to get here at 8:20, but let's rewind and go to last night when I first had to plan out how this morning would go...After putting kids to bed, cleaning up from dinner, and preparing my husband's lunch for work the next day, I had to finish vacuuming and putting the last load of laundry in...then I proceeded to pack breakfast for kiddos who wouldn't be eating this early in the morning (hence why they will eat on the way in the car for our 30 minute drive), then lets think about lunch...ahhh yes we will be out during lunch hour so I made lunch for all five of us...oops, lets make sure each child has clothes set out for the morning...Did I mention getting kids in and out of their car seats successfully this morning, well that in itself, I'm sorry, is WORK! So mam, here I am, a tad frazzled...but go ahead and type in your little box there "no, mother doesn't work"...

We do live in a world that minimizes the woman's desire to be in the home caring for her family full time and elevates women that work outside the home as more noteworthy...I also know many precious friends/women who work outside the home and I know that God has called each of us women differently (props to you if you do, cause your load is even doubled!! I can't imagine how busy and tired these women must be!! God's grace is sufficient for you!!)...For myself I know I am called to be a full-time worker in my home...Women really have to guard themselves against that notion; that our worth and joy is found in what we do outside the home instead of finding our worth and joy in raising children and caring for husbands and home full time if indeed this is where God has called them...I truly do take great joy in being a "keeper of my home"...God has given me great contentment and satisfaction in being a "worker at home"! But why is it I feel totally inadequate when I have to answer that "broken record question" of "DO YOU WORK?" ....It's because I care too much of what others think and less of what God thinks...I started answering that question differently (and politely) ..."No, I don't work outside of the home..."
Whether your place right now is in the home or out in the field may God's grace be your source of strength! We all have an "x" marked in that box on the computer!

2 comments:

marilyn said...

Your post made me smile. I seem to get more things done when I am working than when I am on summer break! I have no idea how I get it all done either, but you are correct, God's grace is sufficient. And we do not need to compare ourselves to others to find our worth. I am often envious of those who are called to stay home, but then I am reminded that we each have our own calling. I could NEVER homeschool my own kids, but give me a class of 30 other people's kids and I know that's where I'm supposed to be! I just wish summer vacation would last a little bit longer :)

crystal said...

Thant made me smile to winnie cause I often feel the same way...and I have seen on the news one time they added up how much a stay at home mommy would make if given money for all the diffrent things she does such as,taxi,nurse,cook,ext and they would make over $100,000 a year and although we may not get paid a check for what we do.We get the reward of so much more and I could go a hour on that lol