Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Honorable Mom?

I was talking with a girlfriend yesterday and how we were both struggling with being patient, gentle, and kind in speaking and dealing with our children this past week. It seems there are weeks I'm feeling pretty good about my attitude and then there are weeks I'm feeling pretty disgusted with my attitude. I don't ever have to lose hope thankfully with the Holy Spirit in my life to convict me, it's not very long before I'm quickly going back to my children asking for their forgiveness in not handling the situations that have arisen in a more "God-honoring" way.
Anyways...To get to the point of this post...My girlfriend said the Lord quickly convicted her this week and what she shared with me was a precious thought. She was dealing with her kids and requiring them to honor her as the Bible tells our children they should. But she quickly said to herself, "But am I being an honorable mother, am I being a mother they desire to honor, do I make it easy for them to want to honor me?"....OUCH! I was so humbled by her words. I think we so often require the obedience and respect from our children, but am I requiring myself to be an "honorable" mother to my little ones? What is deserving of Honor? I looked it up in the Bible: Proverbs 31:26,28 "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also and he praises her." This will be the cry of my heart this week (and for all time)to God, "God may I be an honorable mommy who honors YOU"...

2 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

WOW! Thanks for the words of encouragement...I used that very verse with Titus today...and yet, how often am I guilty of not being honorable! Thanks for sharing what your friend shared with you...I love the things God is teaching others and the joy of being apart of their learning!

crystal said...

Wendy,thank you for sharing what you friend shared with you!I really agree with kristin that it is a blessing to learn from other and to be encouraged by them.love you