Today we had the privilege of going to our adoption agency's annual Christmas party. There were probably about 12-15 families who attended . There was yummy food and snacks and great conversation. Conversation on how the new additions are doing, how are the bio children adjusting, how are the parents adjusting etc. It was great to hear other parent's struggles, joys, and progress in adoptions. One thing that came up at least three times while I was talking with other moms, was how when you get the new children, you sorda expect this "romantic love" for your children to be automatic and when you don't feel it right away, you almost start to wonder if something may be wrong with yourself. But as all of us agreed, it takes time. When you adopt, you CHOOSE to love this child(ren), you choose to love sacrificially, you care for their needs and nurture them regardless if you "feel" that "romantic, tender" love. Eventually, God softens that love to a tender love, it gradually happens little bits and days at a time. I believe it is possibly the same thing with the children, as they have to learn to trust you and love you too. So it was really good! It's good knowing you are "normal" to feel this way and that God does the work in hearts! Praise God, He "chooses" to love me even when I am unlovable! Praise God He chooses to show me how to love children I didn't birth and that His grace and mercy toward me motivates my heart to keep on keeping on!!
On a side note, "K" jr always writes me little hidden messages on his school work sheets everyday. Things like "love you mom", "you're the best teacher", and sweet things along those lines...This one particular day he writes me a message and waits patiently for me to see it. I took a pic to share because it blessed my heart immensely! Then he drew a picture to go with it...Not only that, the day before when we were doing family prayer my oldest daughter prayed the sweetest prayer thanking God that He had put adoption on her Mommy and daddy's heart and allowed us to adopt...Hmmm....Lord are you trying to say something here :) I keep saying there's two more seats in our van we need to fill up!

First Grader translation: "Can we get more kids?"I told him to keep praying to see if it's God's will!
3 comments:
That was truly the most precious thing I have read all week...honestly!!! Just blessed my socks off, your little man did!
I am so thankful that when God calls us to adoption...He prepares the WHOLE FAMILY!!!!!! That has been a sweet blessing to see in our home, too...although, I'd be lying if I didn't say that you still go through some pretty big adjustments when they first come...but I cannot imagine life without our 6 kiddos...and pray God blesses us with more!!!
Wendy I loved this post!I think its so presious how little man wants more brothers and sisters:~)by the sounds of it little mans heart has been touched through this adoption process!He sees the fun and the blessing it is to have a big family and I think he knows the blessing it is to adopt in his own 7 year old heart.Thank you wendy so much for sharing that with me.love you
You could always buy a bigger van ... and fill up all of those seats.
We had "just" 6 kids when we bought our first 15 passenger van ... now we fill it up.
mama of 13
Post a Comment