Saturday, December 12, 2009

Does prayer seem to cost you something?


We were discussing "prayer" in our small group (Bible Study). The question that was headed up basically was, "How does your prayer life look?" Ouch! This one ALWAYS gets me! We have our family prayer daily, but my own personal prayer life is something I desire to be more faithful and disciplined in. Throughout the day I am usually conversating with God...Things like asking for His grace in situations, or a prayer for someone who just asked for it, but I feel frustrated because I really want that prayer that looks like Jesus's prayer life...He went away, from people and crowds to meet with His Father. This is where I really lack diligence! But I was soooo convicted as I read this beautiful picture of how I ought to veiw prayer as a redeemed child of the MOST HIGH GOD. I just started reading this book shortly after that Bible study. I want to get more serious about my prayer life. The book is titled "If You Will Ask" by Oswald Chambers:

"Remember, what makes prayer easy is not our wits or our understanding, but the tremendous agony of God in redemption. A thing is worth just what it costs. Prayer is not what it costs us, but what it cost God to enable us to pray. It cost God so much that a little child can pray. It cost Almighty so much that anyone can pray. But it is time those who name His name knew the secret of the cost, and the secret is here: "my soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death"....We talk about the difficulty of living a holy life, but there is the absolute simple ease of Almighty God in living a holy life because it cost Him so much to make it possible. Beware of placing emphasis on what prayer costs us. It cost God everything to make it possible for us to pray."

Here I am talking about how it's so hard to find time or how I might start daydreaming in the middle of prayer. I've forgotten the precious price paid that I might have the PRECIOUS privilege of talking to GOD of the universe! Hmmm...Some reprioritizing is due for this gal...

2 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Wow...that post could not have come at a better time. I was just sharing with Karen my struggle with prayer and desire to have depth in my prayer life with Jesus! Thanks for sharing what you did!

What you shared also reminded me of a quote that Bryan read to me a couple of days ago by John Piper. Boy does that guy have a way with words! :)

"The height of your sin is measured by the dignity of the one you are sinning against and it is an infinite dignity."

Joyful Mommy said...

Isn't it amazing the way the Holy Spirit works! He has convicted me of this very thing over the last few months. Now we walk this road together, even when we are not physically together. The unity of the body of Christ is truly a beautiful thing! Thank you for sharing this post, it has encouraged, blessed, and convicted me, all at the same time! I have been truly struggling to be disciplined in prayer, not letting my heart and mind be distracted, but giving God my full attention. I feel like a child with ADD when I pray, and am thankful for His longsuffering grace in this.