
I've talked to so many women and when we talk about our quiet Bible study times, there seems to be a common thread that we can all agree to. That common issue is that, "I don't always "FEEL" like reading God's Word." Oh how very TRUE this is...I don't always "FEEL" like sitting and reading God's Word either...More often than not I too struggle with opening my eyes in the morning to realize it's 6 am and I could really enjoy sleeping on, it's here I don't FEEL like getting out of bed! But one thing God is teaching me is that I can not trust my "FEELINGS"...I must obey and trust that God will meet me and reward my obedience...And that reward will be that when I open his Word out of obedience and begin to read and feed on His Word, He will do the work in my heart that I can not do, but that only His living active Word can do; teach, convict, grow, council, and comfort my soul!
If you too struggle with reading God's Word and you think you are supposed to have these wonderful, feel good, fluffy, joyful thoughts of coming to God's Word that you don't always seem to have, take heart and regardless of how you feel, OBEY. The Holy Spirit is our confidence and gives us the desire to come to Him even when we do not feel we want to...Thank God! God will bless your obedience, ask Him to soften your heart to hear from His Word and tell Him that you do not "feel" like reading, but you are out of obedience...
Think of something else you do that you do not always "FEEL" like doing...How about making breakfast, lunch, and dinner for your family?? Hmmm..."Well today kiddos, I just don't "feel" like making meals for you, Sorry..." or "Sorry, I haven't "felt" like doing laundry or dishes in a month so there's no clothes and no dishes..." NO! We wouldn't dream of doing or saying these things! And the same when it comes to God's Word, we do it even when we don't feel like it! We shouldn't dream of making a habit of ignoring God's Word based on Feelings that decieve us...Make a plan of action!! Trust God to do what you can't :)
"But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night."
Psalm 1:2

2 comments:
I LOVE your analogy. Wow! Yes ... how many things do we do every single day that we don't "feel" like doing? Then, when God asks us to do something (or, TELLS us what we need to do), we simply say, "Sorry, Lord, I'm too busy ... I don't feel like it ... I'll catch ya later."
I'm just preachin' to myself here. Needed this today.
Well said! Thanks!!!
Laurel :)
That was a great post...and a great reminder! It's through obedience that God blesses...I remember JC Ryle saying that in his book, "The Duty of Parents"...the path of obedience is the path of blessing!
Post a Comment