Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cries of Calvary


I'm reading the book "Worldliness" (resisting the seduction of a fallen world) by CJ Mahaney (and other co authors as well)...I came across the last paragraph in chapter one and held back tears, and headed to my computer to share...

He's talking about how so many things in this world take our eyes off of Christ and cause us to sin and how resisting the world and sin is only possible through the grace of God by His Son's death for us and our faith in that truth...

The quote that had me speechless was this:

"Meditate on the cross. Consider the wonders of the Savior who died for sinners and rose victorious over sin and death. Dwell where the cries of Calvary are louder than the clamor of the world."
The part I was caught up in was "Dwell where the cries of Calvary are..."
The cries of Calvary are where I seldom stop and dwell! THE CRIES OF CALVARY!! ARE you hearing this!! What caused the CRIES OF CALVARY?! MY SIN and Jesus Crying out as he accepted the punishment and God's wrath for MY SINFULNESS!...Maybe if I dwelled there a bit more I might not be so comfortable and quick to choose sin and worldliness over My Savior.

My meditation this week will be on the "Cries of Calvary", because how quickly I forget the cost for me to be a child of the KING...Go back to the cross with me and remember why there were "cries at Calvary"...Go back to God's Word if you've quickly forgotten the beatings, thorns, and nails, and worse of all His Father forsaking HIM that caused Jesus to cry out in anguish...And then let it change how you respond and live before HIM...

4 comments:

Matt5verse6 said...

Wendy, I am so thankful to our King that He moved you and touched your heart so that you made this post. Thank you for sharing your heart. It is a VERY good and much NEEDED reminder to me to make sure I not only dwell on this myself but to make sure my children know and understand the "cries of Calvary" as well.

Donna said...

Thanks for popping over and posting on my site!

Love this post. I am reading "Crazy Love" right now, lots of the same thoughts. Seeking to live every moment in Love with Him.

Delight in Him--
Donna

crystal said...

Wendy,
Tony and I read this book together and we loved it alot!I remember that part and it made me stop reading and " THINK " thank you wendy for sharing this post with us I always love the fact that you share what the lord is doing in your heart!I can see you want others to be encouraged by what your learning so that we might understand and learn more of how to be sensitive and tender to Christ in our hearts for what he has done for all of us by dieing on the cross for our "SIN"! so thank you wendy.

The Pichura Family said...

Thanks for the reminder again! I remember being blown away with so much of the first half of the "Worldliness" book...so many amazing sentences and quotes to meditate on! Mahaney did a message on that topic..."The Scream of the Damned"