Saturday, March 28, 2009

PITIFUL?


I am reading through the book of 1st Corinthians and came across a verse that had me on a search...1Cor. 15:19 "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable." Paul was preaching to the church on the topic of Christ being raised from the dead and how "some" were saying that He had not been raised. He also said a few verses back that (vs.14) "...if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty."
Wow, I thought, I can't imagine that my faith could possibly be in vain and that this, my life, here on earth that has been marked by suffering, pain, trials, and tribulations, not to mention the sacrifices being done for Christ's name such as serving others joyfully, not losing hope because I believe all is being worked together for my good and even down to sacrificing my own comfort to serve others, would be only because of hope that only lasts on this earth!...The verse above in bold, Paul was trying to encourage the church that, if only in this life they had hope in Christ they should be considered pitied! If they did not believe that Christ had risen, it's simple for us today who serve Christ, WE Would HAVE NO HOPE if this were true! But here's the beautiful Truth He was preaching in 1Cor. 15:4, "And that He was buried and that He rose again on the third day accoring to the scriptures...1Thess. 4:16&17, "For the Lord Himself will descend from Heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the LORD in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord."
I can't even begin to imagine the hoplessness people must have when they really believe this is it. This life is it, and so we live as if this life is the only life. I might as well live out the sarcastic verse Paul wrote further in 1 Cor.15:32 "If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!" (no emphasis added)

So shall I live my short life here now to the merriest (driven by my own selfish desires, which I fight against daily)because I will not rise with Christ!!?? Because of God's grace and because I once was lost and now am found I choose to live my merriest life in Heaven with Christ for all of eternity!
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart :)
So bring on the rain if only for this life!

2 comments:

crystal said...

Thank you Wendy for sharing with me what the LOrd is teaching you in this book you are reading!It sounds to be a great book of many I should read!I love the encouragment from some of these blogs I read and what the Lord is teaching each one of us.Thank you!!because what you posted is so true because it is Gods word ment to be studied out like you did and also lived out!!

The Pichura Family said...

You explained it so beautifully! Thank you Wendy! I am so thankful that this life is the WORST it get's for us who are believers...and yet, God still fills it with so many sweet and good things...I can only imagine what Heaven will be like! Face to face with the Lord forever!!!