Saturday, March 7, 2009

"The Surgeon, The Scalpal, And The Spouse in Sin"


This is the name of a chapter of the book, "When Sinners Say I Do", my hubby and I are reading together. This chapter is about how to address a sin or sin pattern in our spouse and doing it as carefully as a surgeon does in a surgery with his scalpal. I came upon a very humbling, but much appreciated thought the author addresses. Here is what he encourages us as spouses to pursue when we are desiring to be the spouse God calls us to be.

Dave Harvey writes:

"An excellent and humble way to demonstrate your ongoing willingness to come under the biblical knife is to pursue correction regularly. This tells your spouse that if you need surgery, you want surgery. My friend Mark often asks me if I have any thoughts or observations about his character or behavior. In regard he's a "model patient", and I want to import this example into my marriage. It is important to me that Kimm is aware that I want correction, not that I will merely tolerate it. When I pursue correction it tells her she is welcome to operate, because I know I need the help."

Wow!! I don't know about you, but I rarely do this. In fact I don't remember the last time I asked my husband if there is any area I could improve on or honor him better in. My heart after reading this is to ask God for a good dose of "humble Pie" and to regularly approach my hubby to lovingly tell me of any areas he's aware of that need some "scalpal" work!! This can even spill over to my children and asking them the same question, "Is there a big area that you see mommy not looking like Jesus." Remember, the title of this book is, "When Sinners Say I Do", so I don't intend this idea makes things perfect, but helps us to realize we are indeed sinners who are in constant need of Jesus changing our hearts.

3 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

You had to go and write a post like that now didn't you?!!!! :) Thanks for the reminder...I truly do want to decrease as Christ increases in my life...and I need the help of my hubby and others in pointing out my sin!!!

Kimiko said...

Thanks for the quote from the book. James and I actually just received that book in the mail today, so we're excited to go through it, although I know it's going to be super convicting!!! :)And that quote is just a little preview of what we're going to get. Funny thing is, I also just got "When People are Big and God is Small" (I may have mixed it up, but you get the idea :)), so maybe I should read the two hand-in-hand! Being humble enough to ASK and SEEK out correction definitely requires putting off the fear of man!

Laurel said...

Great thoughts!

Just last night, I was chatting with my eldest daughter, about a relationship she was in when she was 18. I asked her, "What could I have done differently? How could I have helped you to navigate it better?" I told her that I want to learn from her ... as I have 5 more daughters to walk through this stuff with (and 7 sons).

Yes, we need to learn from our spouses and children, and we need to be humble enough to apologize when we have offended them.

Laurel