Saturday, April 4, 2009

It's not Fair!! (I mean yes it is)


I was reading today in my book called "Daily Strengths For Daily Needs" by all kins of different authors from the 1800's...I love it! I read this quote today by T.T. Carter:

"Only as we know what it is to cherish love when sore at some unkindness, to overmaster ourselves when under provocation, to preserve gentleness during trial and unmerited wrong; -only then can we know in any degree the "manner of spirit" that was in Christ.

'manner of spirit that was in Christ", my manner of spirit usually thinks I have rights and shouldn't be going through whatever it is that causes my attitude to be sinful. Why is it, I thought, that I think I have certian rights and should be treated fairly? Why do I believe this lie that my life is supposed to be comfortable? Why do I believe that I just deserve a break? Why is it that I believe that I shouldn't have to suffer? Oh yea, I know because I'm not focused on my Saviour. I'm not focused on the life He lived full of: discomfort, no breaks, suffering, being treated unfairly. Instead I'm focused on me as if the life He saved me from was supposed to place me in a "bed of roses". He said to me in His Word "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me"(Luke 9:23)"take up his cross daily"...Believer, this is a cross we are to bear daily!! What are all the things that come to mind when you think of cross?? Here are the things that come to my mind:

Suffering
Pain
mocking
persecution
discomfort
mistreated
humiliation
exhaustion
trial

Those are the things that come to my mind. So I am highly mistaken to complain about any lot my Lord puts apon my life, for if He did not spare His perfect son from the cross, why should I, who am a sinner think of my life to be any better than what Christ endured? Oh Lord give me the "manner of spirit" that Christ had to respond to all of life!

And why am I to endure and "give thanks in all circumstances"? Like Paul reminded us in Heb. 12:2 "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
Ahh...It is so worth it, to bear my cross daily (whatever that may look like), and with JOY endure my daily cross, because of the hope to come for all eternity and for that hope to be a hope no longer, but a reality!!

1 comment:

The Pichura Family said...

It's an amazing truth...and one that I feel like I have to keep preaching to myself everyday!!! There are no breaks from believing and trusting in the Sovereignty of God...it truly is a BATTLE!!!!...fighting for joy in each and every situation...boy do I long for permenant "eternal eyes" that see the beautiful work God is doing in me and for His glory at ALL times...especially the hard ones!