Thursday, August 13, 2009

Satisfied in Children?


I was reading in the Psalms and came across a very interesting "make me stop and think" verse....Psalm 17:14-15 "...With your hand from men, O Lord, From the men of the world who have their portion in this life, And whose belly You fill with Your hidden treasure. They are satisfied with children, And leave the rest of their possession for their babes. As for me, I will see your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in your likeness."

WOW! Do you think it is okay for us to be simply "satisfied" in something so precious as children? I really believe God inspired David to write this because it seems such an innocent thing to be "satisfied" with my children...I mean hello, they are gifts from God...But David was inspired by God to recognize that, NO, we are to be satisfied and content in the righteousness of God and in His likeness!! Our portion is God...David writes this as to warn that finding our "portion" in this life is FOOLISHNESS...So even when it comes to children and babes, God gently warns us through David, The true portion and satisfaction comes from knowing God and being satisfied in His Awesomeness and the very ONE who gifted us our children, I mean Duh, how could we NOT love the Giver More than anything else? What an awesome God!

Anyways, I just was so taken back, and thought God could have used any example to compare this portion of life here on earth to, from men finding satisfaction in money, sex, alcohol, anything, but here he used "children"...interesting, wouldn't you say? Love my children, yes, shepherd them, yes, treat them as the gifts they are, yes, but always see how serious God is about finding all my heart's joy, contentment, satisfaction in Him and His likeness!!

2 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Wow, Wendy...that was SO neat...and I am so thankful that you shared that with us. Even the good things can become idols...I teach that to my kids all the time, but often forget to examine my own heart!

Seriously, I just love the Word of God! It truly is living and active and powerful every time we read it!!! Thanks for sharing that precious bit of truth...I never noticed those verses when I have read them before and I am so thankful for your insight!!!

Love you!

PS...I can't wait until you can post pictures of your kiddos...it must drive you crazy not to be able to!!!

crystal said...

Thank you!Thank you!Wendy!!never really thought about something presious being a idol over God!really thats so easy for me at times and even more so for me because of all the health issues its easy to get wraped up in it!So honestly thank you wendy Its just one more thing to add to my collection of "now your aware of it soooo...Ya" love you wendy