Friday, November 6, 2009

The Results Are In...


Alrighty...I tried and tested! And now I can officially say I am pleased with the results! Lots of you have been asking for the recipe...Sorry it took so long, but I had to be sure I could put my "stamp of approval" on it first...So after a week of using this detergent, I am confident it's what we'll be using~hands down!

I know most of you want to know, is it really really worth the time and energy to make when I only save a few bucks in the end...Well, let me just enlighten you! I already did the math for you, so you can tell me what you think ;)...

Ingredients you'll need to purchase and approx cost (all of which can be found in the detergent isle):

~Borax (4lb 12oz box): approx $5-6.00
~Arm and Hammer Baking Super washing soda (3lb 7oz box): approx $2.79
~bars of soap (your choice, I'm using Irish Spring cuz it's the kind we bathe with and I figure our skin will do better to the change):approx $5.00

~Total of about $13-14.00
~Total loads I will be able to do is 386!!!! Yes 386!!

~You use only a Table spoon per load or 2 if you have a heavily soiled load...

~I pay aprox $7.50 for my detergent and get 48 loads

~I would have to buy 8 bottles at $7.50 each and spend a total of $60.00 to get the 386 loads I did from only spending $13.00 !!!

And time?? Oh my, a breeze! I even got the kids to help me out (make it a science project right)??

RECIPE
And obviously you really just need to double, triple, quadruple, the recipe

~1/2 cup of washing soda

~1/2 cup Borax

~1 bar grated soap

There you have it , mix together and wa la!
I have heard of some people buying 5 gallon buckets and making enough for the whole year!!

Let me know how you like it...

PS If you have a H.E. washing machine you may want to google "Homemade laundry detergent for HE Washer" and see if it's okay to use this...


3 comments:

Laurel said...

I just bought those ingredients today. I was told to buy ZOTE soap (also in the laundry aisle.

For HE washers, you add it to boiling water before putting into gallon milk jugs (or old detergent bottles). I just got the recipe off of another blog, and they say that for the HE washer the cost per load is .01. Yes, that's just 1 cent per load. So, will it be worth my time. You bet!

mama of 13
doer of LOTS of laundry
user of MUCH laundry soap

The Pichura Family said...

SWEET!!!!!I'm all over that once I go the grocery store!!! :)

The Johnson Family said...

lol....I love how something so easy for you became a test from the Lord for me :). My sister-in-law gave me this recipe, and I tried it last week. I couldn't find washing soda anywhere (where did you find yours?), and silly me substituted baking soda detergent...I know, not very bright. I made a huge batch only to discover on google that washing soda and baking soda are definitely two different things and you can't substitute one for the other.

So after all that work grating the soap and boiling it in water (the reason you have heard of people using five gallon buckets is b/c there is another recipe in which you boil the grated soap in 4 cups of water, then mix that with like 3 more gallons (I think) of water and then add the 1/2 cup borax and cup of washing soda, and use 1 cup per load)...that's the one I used), I realized I made a foolish mistake and waisted my time and money.

haha...so the Lord taught me to be more careful, and not to get so upset when I make mistakes, because they happen, and to call stores before waisting my time going around trying to find washing soda.

:) sorry for the long story, but you seriously made me laugh when I saw your poast!