Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mom's and Daughter's Resources

I wanted to share some great resources for anyone who may need some on the topics of raising daughters. I feel it is extremely important and crucial that my daughter is prepared and understands the topic of the "birds and the bees" from me, her mother. Not from "ASK JANE"...not from the neighborhood children...and not from Television, outside media, etc. I feel a great responsibility that God has entrusted me with to take this task of shepherding her heart very seriously. Obviously, I don't have all the answers all lined up in a row or what and when to talk about this or that (changes in her body (IE puberty), sex and details, how babies are made, etc) However, there are some authors who have done this job quite well and I am so thankful! Soooo...I thought I'd share with you some...You may know of some great books as well, let me know if you do!

GOD AND ME DEVOTIONS FOR GIRLS

This book is a book my husband picked up for my daughter to do as her very own personal devotional, this is also available for boys and younger girls from ages 2-(at least 12 that I know of) and you can go to LEGACY PRESS to find these...This book is filled with little devotionals that help children see with the eyes of Christ.

GROWING LITTLE WOMEN by Donna J. Miller and Christine Yount

For moms and daughters...K and I have been doing this devotional for a few years now (they offer several stages) This devotional helps to instill Godly character in your daughter, kindness, friendships, honesty, etc...

GIRL TALK by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Mahaney Whitacre

Also for moms and daughters (I would say at least 11 years old) this is a
great book to build your relationship directly with our daughters...It addresses the heart and how we see each other and how God providentially placed the two of us together for a purpose, namely to glorify God...It addresses biblical womanhood and helps moms and daughters to be reminded not to fall into what the culture says we ought to be, but instead to embrace the beauty of God's design for women (young women).

THE CHRISTIAN Girl's Guide to CHANGE (INSIDE AND OUT) by Legacy Press

I ordered this off LEGACY PRESS for my daughter and I to work through about the many changes that are taking place in her body...What I love about this book is it biblical in it's applications...For example; what body shape are you? Then you go through a little checklist to see what body type you are...then it talks about the verse "I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made" and "my frame was not hidden from you"..."frame" is our skeleton, the unique bones God made for each of our bodies...Also talks about the details in what my daughter should be expecting while going through puberty...Talks about weird things people might say and what it means, for example "Some guy said I must be on the rag because I was mad about something"...Anyways...I HIGHLY recommend this book ...

Who AM I? Where Did I Come From? Dr. Ruth K. Westheimer




And last but not least...This is not a biblical based book, but is in line with scripture...There is a lot of awkwardness and fear in talking about SEX with children. I found this book to aide me wonderfully in this subject...It's written in a wonderful format from how babies are made, to the baby coming out and how...It takes an awkward subject and wraps it up all nice and neat with a pretty little bow :)...

1 comment:

The Pichura Family said...

Nice pictures! :) Seriously...thanks for sharing some great resources. Those last two I don't have and I was just getting ready to place a CBD order...so thanks for the timing of it too!